Kolkata Bloggers

Friday 26 September 2014

As a Bengali, Durga Puja is something inherent in my life. The sound of the dhak, new clothes, the huge pandals and crowds everywhere - all this never gets old. The sense of anticipation before the Pujas, the great times with family and friends, the scrumptious food consumed, is something I look forward to every year! DUring my years in the US, I made sure that I found out where a Durga Puja was being organized and turned up there - often ending up a little disappointed as nothing compares with how Kolkata does the Pujas.

Many Bengalis do not like to be in the city during the Pujas. Some turn up their nose at pandal-hopping! I am not one of those! I am a trueblooded Bong in this sense, that I want to experience everything the Puja offers. In the recent years, since my mother fell ill, there have been times, when I have spent the entire five days at home or worked till Ashtami and then spent the last two days at home moping about. I would not feel like going anywhere much or meeting anyone. But I could not shut out the sounds of enjoyment entirely. I would sit in my bedroom with a book or watch a movie - but my attention would be towards the people milling about outside. Inevitably, a sigh would escape! Then a couple of years back I decided, to hell with it. I would enjoy myself to the fullest and that is what I did.

This year Durga PUja will be different for me. This is my first Puja after marriage and I will take part in things in a way I have not done before as a single lady. So, the sense of anticipation is also different. What I have come to realize over these years is that, far more important than pandal hopping or lot of expensive clothes and jewelry or expansive food menus (though I consider these very important as well), is having family with you. It does not matter if you have a small family or a large one, spending time with them is what counts.

So my friends, amongst all your busy work schedules and demands of your social circle, please do spend time with your loved ones and make this Puja a memorable one..

2 comments: