Kolkata Bloggers

Tuesday 19 July 2016

Sexuality and the Indian Woman

Deviating from my usual stance of writing about safe things, I have decided to talk about a bold topic this time. All around me, I see, read, hear, and watch a lot of things about diversity and gender equality, feminism et al. Very rarely, do people address the topic of a woman’s sexuality though. In the Indian context, we talk about sex in whispers and especially if you are a woman, the subject is taboo.

When I was growing up, I used to argue with my mother about curfew times, protesting that it did not mean that I was a virgin if I was home before dark or the opposite if I stayed out late. My mother however, never bought that argument and like a lawyer came up with counter arguments faster than you could say “Jack Robinson”.  Of course as a parent, she had safety and security issues on her mind.

Over the years, I have realized that if you want to be “acceptable” in the eyes of the society you live in, you DO NOT come across as a person with normal sexual desires. It is ok for a man to sleep around, he is just playing the field before settling down. If a woman does the same thing, she is labelled a slut or a whore or worse. Even more irritating is the fact that women are judged by the way they dress.  Last year, a colleague wore a deep necked top to work and was eve-teased a couple of times. The response to that by someone in a position of authority was that she should dress down a little. When would we start feeling comfortable walking on streets in a pair of shorts without being labelled “loose” or worse, being raped for wearing a mini skirt?

In social circles, a man having an extra marital affair is not as condemned as the other woman he is having it with. Are they not equally to blame? I am not promoting promiscuity or cheating on your partner, but my point is that rules should apply to all and not to a particular sex.


We have come a long way towards making women an integral part of the society, but unless we do away with such archaic notions and learn to accept each person for what they are, we shall be not be making real progress. My advice to all the free souls out there is to live your life on your terms and not be swayed by the fools braying by the road side. Go for it, gals!

2 comments:

  1. "Acceptable" is a very relative term. What may be acceptable to you may not be acceptable to me. What is "Acceptable" is learnt via social values and is influenced if not driven by the values of people in my circle. It is important to negate that influence by spreading awareness like you're doing. To me an extra marital affair has no gender bias and both people are equally to blame.
    However, mistakes do happen, people do change, but one does not have right to hurt his or her partner by going the whole 9 yards. I can only say such behaviour is a blatant disregard for the partners trust and is inexcusable.

    ReplyDelete